Moving on the minor road which takes you to the royal tombs, moving about 500 meters ahead will get you to the famous Monastery-Museum of Apostolos Varnavas. This Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas is open for the visit by all the individuals. However, the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas has some specific visiting time which opens at 08:00 am in the morning and remains open till the sunset, hence the closing time of Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas varies with the changing climate. This Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas was renovated a number of times in the past but was converted into a museum in the year 1980.
This is done by adding a number of the artifact to the building for the visitors to enjoy the historical background of the area. A cafeteria and a crafts shop were added to the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas int the year 1997. This is done for the sole purpose of increasing the number of visitors to the place. Craft shop provides these visitors to take with them souvenirs for their loved ones or even for themselves to remember this place with good words.
This Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas can be dated back to the fifth century when a monastic community started their settlement here. After a certain period of time, they were replaced by the individuals who built the famous tomb of Apostle Barnabas. This tomb was built with the help of funds that were collected by the Byzantine Emperor of the time. However, this tomb was destroyed by Arabs who raided the region in the seventh century. This Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas was then built during the 1750s totally from scratch. Yet incorporating some of the things from the older tombs. Such as the structure and artifacts left there by the Arabs. This Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas was one of the famous places of the adjacent area until 1974.
Until which one of the three main individuals named Barnabas, Stefanos and Khariton used to conduct a yearly event for the pilgrimages of the area. One of the individuals used to dress like Santa Claus. While the best thing is that all three of these individuals had a bear the same as Santa Claus. These three brothers had the presidentship of the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas since the year 1917. And conducted the event without any gap until 1974. They also renovated the whole building in the year 1958. In order to keep the building functional and operational for future generations.
These brothers supported the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas with the funds being generated by selling honey. And selling mass-produced items to the nearby villages or the adjacent cities. They stand against the Turkish forces in the year 1974. To keep the legacy continued for the future generation. But due to older age and limited resources they had to give up in front of the harassment of these Turkish forces. These three brothers left the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas in the year 1976 to a nearby village. To spend the rest of their lives there.
The entrance fee of the building is quite much and does not justifies the icon collection present inside the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas. The oldest of these artifacts is the Herod’s Banquet which can be dated back to about 1858. This shows john baptize being beheaded in the lower frame of the picture. A number of individuals gazing on the act being done by the authorities. Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas was also looted in the year 1982. A single guard was somehow tricked and the Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas was looted for the 35 much more valuable artifacts that once resided in the building. While another such raid in 1997 when the thief stole a number of valuable artifacts leaving behind almost nothing of worth.
The Archeological Museum:
The best part of the building is the archeological museum. This contained a number of artifacts that were looted from the Hadjiprodhromou collection. And then placed here for the visitors to see. Similarly, a number of other artifacts were transported here from a nearby museum. Which also went missing while transporting them to the real Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas. The building contains a number of rooms with each room presenting a different era. Starting from the Bronze Age to the veteran age and moving through the mixture of Turkish and Greek Era. However, the artifacts are labeled with only dates giving very little of the proof of the item really belonging to that area.
The bronze room contains mostly the pottery mostly of polished red and white color. Similarly, a model room is also placed here along with the miniature plates, jugs, stuffed birds of that time and even items related to archery are placed there. Moving to the classical section one can find a statue of a woman. This woman dressed in the cultural dress of that time, probably representing the goddess Demeter which was also holding a puppy in one hand. This Monastery Museum of Apostolos Varnavas also proves that Cyprus was one of the oldest producers of Opium.
Internal link: https://turkish.co.uk/monastery-museum…ostolos-varnavas/
Outbound link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stavrovouni_Monastery